A. Gulvin Translation
7 Reasons to Learn a Language
Updated: Feb 5, 2018
Why should I learn a language at all? Doesn't everyone speak English?
It's true that a lot of people around the world these days are investing a huge amount of time and money into learning English.
But this means that often, native English speakers who can't speak another language are left at a disadvantage.
Read on for seven excellent reasons to learn a foreign language...
1. Job: people who can speak another language make better employees. They find it easier to find innovative solutions for practical problems. There is growing evidence proving clear cognitive benefits for bilinguals, so they can end up with improved attention, intelligence, and better verbal and spatial abilities.
2. World: studying a language creates more positive attitudes and less prejudice towards people who are different. When you understand something, there's no longer any need to fear it.
3. Skills: analytical skills, communication skills, listening skills and memory improve during the process. This is turn can help you in many other areas of your life, such as at school and work, with sports, hobbies and in your relationships.
4. Travel: international travel becomes easier, more enjoyable and more rewarding. The world literally opens like it never has before!
5. English: study of another language helps you learn more about your own. Increased awareness about how languages work means better grades at school, increased vocabulary, improved spelling and better writing in English.
6. Culture: another language opens another world of art, music, dance, fashion, cuisine, film, philosophy, science and more. This enriches your life in a unique way.
7. Health: learning another language is good for your brain. Improved concentration and memory as well as a lower risk of diseases like Alzheimer's are just some of the benefits.
So, what are you waiting for?!